(my apologies! I accidentally deleted all of the pictures on my account and had already scratched them from my phone as well, so I hope you enjoy the read!)
This past weekend I decided to venture into making cupcakes from scratch. They were delicious. As usual I decided to hunt pinterest for a recipe and the first cupcakes which came up were Egg Nog, and I love Egg Nog.
My only issues with baking are that I’m left with too many sweets for two people to consume; and I am definitely not the best at it, yet. This bake taught me the importance of truly room temperature butter. I took mine from the fridge and microwaved it for 15 seconds, hoping that would make it a little easier to mix in. I was wrong. The recipe I used said to mix until smooth. See the problem yet? Well, with butter that isn’t quite room temperature it stays lumpy. And when you are trying to mix a batter until smooth and it’s still lumpy you over mix the batter.
To be quite honest, I’m glad I mixed this too much. I needed to know what happened when batter is over mixed. It doesn’t make the cupcake bad, per say. But the cupcakes won’t rise if the batter has been over mixed. And if they don’t rise then you don’t end up with a fluffy cupcake.
Lesson learned. Here’s the recipe:
1 2/3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter (room temp)
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup eggnog
1/4 cup milk
- preheat the oven to 350 F
- in a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder
- add butter, egg whites, vanilla, nutmeg, eggnog, and milk (everything else pretty much) and mix until smooth. DON’T over mix
- fill cupcakes between half way and three-quarters full
- bake for roughly 20 minutes and cool
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
5 tbsp eggnog
1/4 tsp rum flavor
1 tsp nutmeg
First off, if you have a great recipe for frosting use that and add the eggnog, rum, and nutmeg. This frosting is rather sweet.
- combine butter and shortening, mix until smooth
- add half of your powdered sugar and mix until smooth again
- add eggnog, rum, and nutmeg mix again
- finally add remaining powdered sugar and mix until it has a consistency you’re happy with, add more eggnog to make it a little more runny
To frost the cupcakes I suggest grabbing a piping bag and filling it about half way. Use a tip if you’d like, but just clipping the bag worked fine for me. I start with a dollop in the middle, then I swirl around and up until I get that picture perfect icing!
Enjoy making these delicious holiday treats! 😀
-that one girl
(on a side note, here is the link to the original recipe: